Outline
I. What was the meeting and what happened and who was there
II. What did they talk about at the meeting
i. quotes
III. Who benefited from the meeting, who didn’t
IV. Review what Beta Alpha Psi is, and how it is useful to students
i. quotes
Two employees from Clark Nuber accounting firm met with members from Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity on Wednesday to give students insightful information about their major.
The guest speakers were Ryan Krebs, an Audit Senior, and Dan Maehren, a Tax Senior from Clark Nuber
Krebs and Maehren set up a game of Clark Nuber Jeopardy that tested Beta Alpha Psi members on their knowledge of five different topics. The different categories were How to Land the Interview, Clark Nuber, Accounting Potpourri, Washington State University, and Networking.
“It was a fun way to get the information across,” said Marshall Lloyd, a junior accounting major and member of Beta Alpha Psi. “They could have just come in and listed off facts but they spent the time to leave a good impression.”
Krebs and Maehren stressed the importance of making a strong first impression during an interview. They recommended that students dress in business casual for interviews, greet employers with a firm handshake, provide a well-made resume, and follow up with a personalized thank-you card that thanks the employer for their time.
Both Krebs and Maehren graduated from Washington State with degrees in accounting, and were both members of Beta Alpha Psi. They both stressed how useful Beta Alpha Psi was in helping them get jobs with Clark Nuber.
Overall members of the Fraternity found the presentation insightful.
“I could really see myself at a company such as this,” said Lloyd. “Its not one of those big accounting firms you know? I feel I could actually get some experience and learn a lot.”
Lloyd went on to express the importance of a group such as Beta Alpha Psi.
“Without it, I don’t think I would really understand what I’m getting myself into,” he said. “We get to listen to these presentations and learn about different firms and how to get involved.”
Like Lloyd, senior member Jesse Parker believes that being a member of Beta Alpha Psi will eventually pay dividends.
“Its not always the most fun thing to do on a Wednesday night but once I graduate I’m going to reap the rewards,” Parker said. “Nothing gets you farther than contacts in the field.”
The purpose of Beta Alpha Psi is to help Accounting students learn the ropes of the accounting industry, learn how to make a good first impression during interviews, and stress the importance of networking with future employers.
Throughout the year Beta Alpha Psi is host to numerous guest speakers, all of whom share their personal insight into the world of accounting. It offers students the opportunity to expand their horizons and learn valuable knowledge about their major.
Graduate student Jason Meersman has seen the benefits of Beta Alpha Psi first hand.
“I started going to the meetings at the end of my sophomore year, beginning of my junior year,” Meersman said. “Now I’m the campus spokesman for Becker, a company that helps people prepare for their Certified Public Accountant exams.”
Beta Alpha Psi is open to all accounting students regardless of year in school.
Marshall Lloyd
Junior Accounting Major
425 – 218 – 1853
Jesse Parker
Senior Accounting Major
206 – 595 – 4403
Jason Meersman
Graduate Student – BA in Accoutning
206 – 321 - 4841
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment