Lede
Alcohol statistics here on campus…
Examples?
Run down of basic law
Learning your rights
Examples
The kicker – quote from Thomas.
More than 800 people received alcohol referrals and 175 people were arrested in 2008 alone according to the WSU Police Department 2009-2010 Annual Security/Fire Report.
Current state law sites that a police officer must prove that the person in question is exhibiting the signs of consumption to charge him or her with possession. This includes having the smell of alcohol on the breath, being in close proximity to a container or showing visible signs of a lack of coordination.
Whether or not people agree with the current laws, it is crucial to understand them and know individual rights believes Ben Thomas, the associate director of WSU student legal services.
Last year Thomas hosted a program to teach students their basic rights when confronted by an officer. A lawyer and a police officer also shared their side of the story.
“The idea of the program was to help not only decrease the number of incidents on campus, but to inform students of their basic rights,” Thomas said. “The only thing that state law requires of those under question for an MIP is for them to produce valid identification.”
Thomas discussed how the program didn’t stop with MIP’s. The officer talked about protocol on everything from drug-related arrests to simple traffic violations. The audience was involved with the presentation and asked questions, whether they be about legal issues or police protocol.
Senior Jeff Wilson was in attendance last year. Wilson received a supplying to minors citation his junior year and was able to consult the lawyer about possible courses of action.
"It was an easy way for me to get an idea of what I was up against," Wilson said. "Once I got some basic advice I was able to take the next step and prepare myself for court."
Many people are so uninformed that they believe it is required by law to take a breathalyzer when asked to do so says Thomas.
“I always assumed you had to do exactly what the officer tells you,” said Erik Dargitz, a junior at WSU. “I didn’t realize how hard it can be for the cop to prove anything.”
Dargitz has managed to keep a clean sheet over the years, but others haven’t been so lucky.
“I got an MIC [minor in consumption] last year in Idaho when our designated driver got pulled over for a broken taillight,” said James Whelan, who was a sophomore at the time. “I got nervous and admitted to having a few beers and the next thing I know I’m paying a $500 fine.”
For those who don’t want to end up like Whelan, Thomas said the best thing to do is just know your rights.
“If people knew what they were up against, most of the time they would be able to avoid trouble,” he said. “Just hand the officer your ID, shut up and you’ll be fine.”
Contacts:
Ben Thomas
253 332 2609
James Whelan
425 941 8598
Erik Dargitz
360 739 3681
Jeff Wilson
425 443 8956
No comments:
Post a Comment